Welcome to the webpages of Core Structures @ Glasgow, which encompasses the algebra, analysis, geometry and topology and number theory groups in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Glasgow, together with researchers in surrounding areas with related research interests.
We cover a broad range of the mathematical landscape, and we solve both problems internal to mathematics, and problems related to applications. See our research expertise listed by area (with links to our relevant members), or a list of our people (with links to their research expertise). In summary, we cover:
- Algebra: Group Theory, Noncommutative Ring Theory, and Representation Theory
- Algebraic and Geometric aspects of Mathematical Physics
- Geometry: algebraic, differential and symplectic
- Operator algebras and Noncommutative Geometry
- Number Theory
- Topology: algebraic and low-dimensional.
We have been recognised for our research achievements, including the 2013 EMS Whittaker Prize (White), a 2017 LMS Whitehead Prize (Wemyss), a CBE and the 2019 LMS David Crichton Medal (Kenneth Brown), together with a number of research fellowships and research funding. See a full list of our recognised excellence.