Michael Wemyss (pronounced `Weemz')
I am The Chair of Mathematics at the University of Glasgow since June 2016. I obtained my PhD from Bristol in 2008, was a postdoc in Nagoya and Oxford, then for six years I was in Edinburgh as a Lecturer then Reader.
My main research interests are in algebraic geometry and its interactions, principally between noncommutative and homological algebra, resolutions of singularities, and the minimal model program. In the process of doing this, I have research interests in all related structures, including: deformation theory, derived categories, stability conditions, associated commutative and homological structures and their representation theory, curve invariants, McKay correspondence, Cohen--Macaulay modules, finite dimensional algebras and cluster-tilting theory. I received an LMS Whitehead Prize in 2017, and shared the Adams Prize in 2020. I am a member of Core Structures @ Glasgow, which encompasses the Algebra, Analysis, and Geometry & Topology groups here, together with faculty across Glasgow with related mathematical interests.
I currently serve as:
- 5-year EPSRC Early Career Fellow with a three-year extension, until April 2021.
- CoI on Programme Grant "Enhancing Representation Theory, Noncommutative Algebra And Geometry Through Moduli, Stability And Deformations", 2018--2024.
- CoI on EP/T001968/1 "Capacity building in Africa via technology-driven research in algebraic and arithmetic geometry", 2020--2021.
- Deputy Head of Mathematics.
- Chair of Management Committee, joint 5-yearly meeting of the BMC/BAMC in Glasgow, which has been postponed until April 2021.
- Chair of the Glasgow Mathematical Journal Trust.
- Member of Mathematical Sciences sub-panel for REF2021, assessment phase.
- Member of Management Committee of the EPSRC IAA fund, Glasgow.
- Member of Research Planning and Strategy Committee (RPSC), Glasgow.
I currently advise PhD students Sarah, Kellan, Okke, Caro and Brian, and I mentor RAs Navid and Wahei. I am always interested in hearing from potential PhD students and postdocs, so feel free to contact me directly, or see the up-date information about supervision opportunities for both me and the wider group at our available supervisors page, and our positions page.
My Publications and Preprints
A conference in celebration of the 60th Birthday of Bill Crawley-Boevey, September 7-11, 2020, University of Manchester, UK.